These taco's are easy to put together and are great for a weekday dinner or a Sunday lunch. To speed things up, add your cashews to hot water in the morning so they will be ready for you when you need them. Enjoy!
6 small Organic Corn Tortillas
- 1 pound organic extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon each: salt, ground cumin and chili powder
- About 1/3 cup canola oil (or another neutral flavor high heat vegetable oil)
- Slice the tofu into 4 pieces, width-wise. Next, slice each piece into 4 thin strips. You should have 16 strips about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Mix the flour, bear, spices and salt together in a bowl. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add oil in a medium sized cast iron or regular frying pan. The oil should be at least 1/8-inch deep. Place the pan over medium-high heat.
- Dip your tofu strips into the batter to coat all sides and place the tofu in the pan, leaving space between strips. Cook the tofu for about two minutes on each side or until it is browned and crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat until all of the tofu strips are cooked, adding oil to the skillet as needed between batches. Set aside.
- 2 cups each: julienned English cucumber; julienned pealed jicama
- 1 cup julienned radish
- 2 diced jalapeno, seeds removed if you don’t want it too spicy
- 3 Tbsp each: lime juice and olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar (rice or white wine)
- 1 tsp each: ground cumin, chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Combine the lime juice, oil and spices together until mixed well.
- Mix all of the ingredients together, add dressing let sit for 30 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup cashews
- 2-3 Tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the water until just simmering in a pot over medium heat. Add cashews and let sit at least for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
- Put cashews and water into a blender and blend until the sauce no longer feels grainy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until mixed thoroughly.
Assemble your tacos – spread some crema, add your fried tofu and top with your slaw. Serve with lime wedges. Feel free to add chopped avocado or your favorite salsa.