Poutine may have started out as a Canadian treat, but you can find it anywhere now. This plant based recipe is really easy and absolutely delicious! You can either make the entire dish from scratch or buy the ingredients and simply assemble - whichever works for you!
Quick and Easy Classic Poutine – 4 servings
For the fries:
- 2 large Russet Potatoes, cut into thin fries – leave skin on
- 1 Tbsp Oil (Grapeseed, Olive or Sunflower)
- 1 tsp salt (or seasoning salt)
- Put the fires into a large bowl of ice cold water and let soak for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Heat oven to 425F (220C).
- Drain the fries and place on a dry dish towel to dry out as much as possible.
- Add fries to a large bowl and toss with oil and salt.
- Spread the fries over two large baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 30-40 minutes
- ALTERNATIVELY – You can buy premade French fries and cook about 2-3 cups according to the directions.
For the gravy:
- 2 C of sliced mushrooms – any type you like
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced small
- ½ onion diced small
- 2 C of mushroom stock (or vegetable stock)
- ¼ C of AP flour
- 2 Tbsp of oil (or vegan butter)
- 1 tsp salt, pepper and thyme
- Heat up the oil or butter over medium high heat in a large saucepan.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes (or until soft).
- Add flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in stock and cook for about 2-3 minutes (until it thickens).
- ALTERNATIVELY: You can buy a package of Vegan gravy and prepare according to the directions.
For the Cheese:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon each: salt and garlic powder
- Add the cashews to a small pot and with water. Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes until they are softened.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add them with the 1 cup of water and all the remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until completely smooth. It will be watery.
- Pour into a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, and continually stir as it cooks (about 5 minutes). Continue to cook and stir for an additional minute to make sure it has firmed up completely. Cool in fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight,
- ALTERNATIVELY: Use a Plant based cheese like Daiya Mozzarella Shreds.
To assemble your poutine:
- Place Fries in a large serving dish. Top with as much cheese as you like and cover with hot gravy.