No matter where you live, you’ll find that buying local has a wealth of benefits for you and your community. Here are some reasons and tips to help get you started:
Top reasons to buy local
- Support yourself and your community economically
- Keep your community unique and promote diversity
- Reduce environmental impact
- Create more good jobs
- Get better service
- Invest in community
- Put your taxes to good use
- Buy what you want, not what someone wants you to buy
- Encourage local prosperity and diverse character.
- Support community groups
- You can taste the difference and experience new flavours
- You know what you're eating.
- Get in touch with the seasons.
- Have more fun travelling.
Tips on how to buy local
- Frequent the same farmers markets and stands
- Know what is in season and available in your community
- Invest in a farm share program and receive weekly boxes of fruit and vegetables.
- Arrive at markets early for the freshest and best picks. You can also arrive just prior to close to take advantage of deals.
- Start your own garden of herbs or veggies
- Consider raising your own animals in your yard, i.e.) turkeys or chickens
- Volunteer in markets
- Be open to trying new things
- Research local products before travelling.