We are starting new traditions! A delicious plant based Thanksgiving dinner that everyone will love!
Here are a couple of starters that can be served for a casual dinner or can be adapted to serve a large group of your friends and family.
Spiced Pumpkin Soup (Serves 6 - 8)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups medium chopped onion
- 2 tsp. each: minced ginger and garlic
- 1 tsp. each: ground cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper
- 4 cups low vegetable stock
- 2 x 15 oz cans pumpkin puree or 4 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin purée*
- 1 C coconut milk
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (optional - for garnish)
- Pomegranate seeds (optional - for garnish)
- In a large stockpot heat oil and add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add ginger, garlic and spices. Cook over medium heat until onions are soft – about 4-5 minutes.
- Add stock and pumpkin puree. Increase temperature and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook for another two minutes.
- Top with toasted pumpkin and pomegranate seeds.
* If you are making your own pumpkin puree, cut your pumpkin in half, remove seeds and place cut side down in a microwavable container. Add about 1 cup of water and heat on high for about 15 minutes (or until soft). Cool and then puree in a blender or food processor.
This salad is easy to put together and you can change it up and add your fav ingredients. Also, use a bottled vegan salad dressing if you are in a hurry.
Spinach Salad with Cranberries and Pumpkin Seeds (6-8 servings)
- 1 large package of baby spinach
- 1 C of dried cranberries
- 1 C of roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 C of drained mandarin oranges
- 1/2 C thinly sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp each: Olive oil, Apple Cider vinegar, honey, water
-2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each: cinnamon, salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together is a container with a lid - shake well before dressing the salad.
- Combine spinach, cranberries, oranges, onion and pumpkin seeds and toss with salad dressing.
Here is a classic vegan cornbread that is both delicious and very easy to make. This recipe is dense and not too sweet, so if you like your corn bread sweet, just increase the maple syrup.
Vegan Corn Bread (8 - 10 servings)
- 2 C organic cornmeal
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each: salt and cayenne powder
- 2 C nut milk (your choice)
- 1/2 C melted coconut oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together milk, coconut oil, vinegar and maple syrup in a large bowl. Taste and add more maple syrup if you like it sweeter.
- Combine all dry ingredient and mix well, then add to wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 pan lined with parchment paper, and cook for about 30-35 minutes, or until top is golden brown.