This is an easy peasy recipe for a great week-day dinner and fancy enough for company. You can stuff your mushrooms with practically anything, so feel free to change this recipe up! You can sub the potatoes for sweet potatoes or add some of your fav beans and add some Mexican spices.
Mashed Potato and Kale Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 large Portabello mushrooms, cleaned (if they are small'ish - use 6 or 8),
stems removed-save and chop the stems.
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 cup frozen kale (or spinach)
- 1 large leek, diced small (you can sub 1 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 2 Tbsp each of olive oil and vegan butter
- 1-2 tsp each of salt, pepper and thyme
- 1 C vegan cheese shreds
- 1/2 C bread crumbs or crushed croutons
- Heat your oven to 375 F.
- Cut your potatoes into 1/2 thick slices and boil until soft (about 20 minutes).
- Drain potatoes, mash with 1 Tbsp butter, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to a large pan over medium high heat, and add your chopped mushroom stems, leek (or onion), garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and all the thyme. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Stir into mashed potatoes.
- Stir cheese shreds and frozen kale into the potato mixture.
- Rub the remaining oil over the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper (don't be shy with the salt). Place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Add potato mixture to the mushrooms evenly and top with bread crumbs and a tiny dab of vegan butter.
- Cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
* using leftover mashed potatoes makes this quicker. Also, add any fresh or dried herbs you like.
* Serve with your favorite salad. I served with beet/orange salad!