Who doesn’t love soup, especially during the cooler weather? This vegan French Onion soup is warm, comforting and really inexpensive to make! It uses simple ingredients that you probably already have, and it freezes well.
Vegan French Onion Soup (Makes 6 servings)
- 5 cup of sliced onions*
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tsp each: dried thyme, salt, pepper
- 1 Tbsp sugar (or maple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 3/4 C of wine (I used red but use what you like)
- 2 quarts mushroom or veggie broth
- 6 slices of thick toasted bread (I actually used bagel halves)
- 1 1/2 cups of non dairy cheese shreds
*use what ever type of onions you prefer and slice to the size you like.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pot on medium heat, and add the onions, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook for about 45 minutes stirring often so they don’t stick.
- Add the wine and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and cook for another 15-20 minutes. (If you are going to freeze, do so at this point)
- Transfer 1/6 of the soup to each of your oven proof dishes, add a slice of your toasted bread and top with 1/4 C of cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese is bubbly (about 4-5 minutes).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!