This is an easy dish to make that we call cheesy scalloped potatoes, but if you are serving them to guests you can call them Potatoes au Gratin. Either way, they are delicious! This recipe serves 6 but you can change it up if you are serving a crowd.
- 4 cups potatoes, thinly sliced (you can use a mandolin if you have one)
- 3 Tbsp of vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese, plus 1/2 cup for topping (Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds are perfect)
- 1 tsp each: salt and pepper
- a pinch each: cayenne pepper and paprika
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and slowly whisk in flour. Stir for about 30 seconds. Add cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper and continue stirring.
- Slowly whisk in milk and cook until mixture starts to bubble. Add cheese and remove from heat. Stir until all cheese has melted.
- Arrange half of your sliced potatoes in a slightly greased casserole dish then pour half your cheese mixture over. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Top with your remaining cheese shreds and place in heated oven for one hour.